Tuesday, December 20, 2011

High Places, Low Places, Forks in the Road

Yesterday's post ends with "Who knew?"

Who knew how somebody can go from seasons of searching to a moment a finding so immediately? I didn't know. Not then. But since 'then' I've been paying more attention to what that's about.

I love this bit in Proverbs 8--

Listen as Wisdom calls out!
      Hear as understanding raises her voice!
 On the hilltop along the road,
      she takes her stand at the crossroads.
 By the gates at the entrance to the town,
      on the road leading in, she cries aloud,
 “I call to you, to all of you!
      I raise my voice to all people."


The word Wisdom is quite a word. Wisdom is all the wise words ever uttered and passed on. Our scriptures and philosophies, novels and plays and folk tales, songs, family legacies, and on and on and on.

Wisdom is also the ability to recognize what's wise and what's not.

Wisdom is what's been known and the knowing and The One Who Knows all together.

Is The One Who Knows 'you?' I think so. It's the sum of the rich process of discernment.

Is The One Who Knows 'God?' I think so.

A very long time ago receptive people begin to experience this. They blogged about it. They wrote songs and shared them. "Be Still and Know I Am God" is one of those lyrics.

Not everybody who Knows calls the Knowing "God." I don't doubt their Knowing--at least no more than I doubt mine or anybody else's. We all see through a glass darkly. We all know only in part.

Yet we see. We know.

Try that. Trust asking and seeking, knocking and exploring.

Wisdom calls aloud from high places and low places, forks in the road--Wisdom actually meets you in all the way-points of your everyday life.

Try slowing down. Listening. Being still and knowing.