Saturday, December 17, 2011

Guides Along the Way


It’s tempting, writing this, to just jump to the place where faith takes hold again. This tale of being upended by a friend, being shaken to the core and feeling lost, is really a sidetrack to the exploration of mindfulness practice. It’s a ‘for instance.’

For instance, the next time you’re upended and shaken, you might consider taking heart. Having our ‘familiar self,’ our ‘comfortable self’ shaken can be a door opening, a wormhole to a parallel reality. A way of ‘being’ where what we experience is more real than the way of ‘being’ we know now.

One of the blessings of mindful practice is, overtime, learning how to slow down and witness our own lives. We’re more able to see what’s true, what’s not. What’s helpful, what’s harmful. We get better at recognizing when the compass is pointing true north and when it’s not.

For four years I wanted so badly to learn what true north was. And in some of those books I checked out from the library, I got the sense that it was possible. For four years, I never knew what true north was for me, but I could tell that some other people’s compasses were working for them. And even though it was frustrating as hell not to know my own way, hope stayed kindled by witnessing other people’s wisdom and integrity and confidence.

Alan Watts, Teilhard de Chardin, G. I. Gurdjieff. I understood very little of what these guys wrote, next to nothing, really. But I got a clear sense that they were guided by that which they found trustworthy, by that which deepened their lives and opened their hearts. Witnessing their steadiness kept me going.

Most every morning for those four years I got up an hour early and read. Sometimes I tried to pray or meditate, but nothing clicked for me those days with prayer or meditation. But the practice of sitting in the morning with a hot cup of tea and a book of wise words--witnessing other people finding their way--fed my spirit just enough to keep me trusting that there was such a thing as spiritual food.

At the same time (alleluia, alleluia, alleluia) how that quiet, solitary, consistent time in the morning whetted my appetite. How sitting with both absence and the possibility of presence kept alive a sometimes-sense that one day spiritual food might rain down like manna even for me.