Friday, December 16, 2011

Faith As a Noun Is It's Own Worst Enemy


When I was walking up and back surveying all those religious books in the Greenville library as a 20-year-old, I had lost faith in Christianity. I’d tried to believe in what many well-meaning people had tried to pass down, but it just didn’t connect.

Looking back now, it seems to me that faith had been misrepresented. It had been presented as a noun. Stuff to believe.

Faith is its own worst enemy when it’s presented as a noun.

It’s ironic, makes me laugh now to realize, that right there in the library, by being confused and miserable and desperately curious all at the same time I had already crossed over into the realm of faith as a verb.

Much later there would come a time when I laughed out loud about it reading what Jesus, that Jewish guy I’d quit believing in, had said.

Ask and you get. Seek and you find. Knock and a door opens.

These are real faith words. They’re active, effective.

    Ask.

    Seek.

    Knock.

Help is a faith verb too. Unless we misunderstand, confusing it with a passive process.

Follow is the central faith-word in Christianity. But I was still a long way from following.