Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Shadow Boxing (and The Welcoming Prayer)

"Shadow"  is the name Carl Jung gave to the part of our 'selves' that we've repressed. Our Shadow is not so much unconscious as it is unwelcome and ignored! When you hear somebody say, "The Devil made me do it!" (or anything like that) it's usually an attempt to gloss over the Shadow 'acting out.'

In contemplative practice the Welcoming Prayer is a wonderful tool for inviting this 'stuff' we've kept in the shadows to step into the light and be accepted and reintegrated into our lives. When something in us 'feels' unacceptable (embarrassing, strange, too strong, shocking, violent, vulgar, etc., etc.) there's a good chance it's a 'piece' of self that has been kicked down to the basement and is now attempting to 'out' itself. To out a part of your self, my self.

Richard Rohr says this about the Shadow:


Invariably when something upsets you, and you have a strong emotional reaction out of proportion to the moment, your shadow self has just been exposed. Watch for any overreactions or over-denials. When you notice them, notice also that the cock has just crowed (Mark 14:72)! The reason that a mature or saintly person can be so peaceful, so accepting of self and others, is that there is not much hidden shadow left. (There is always and forever a little more. No exceptions. Shadow work never stops.)

One of the great surprises of the two halves of life is that humans come to full consciousness precisely by shadowboxing, facing their own mistakes and failings. People who have had no inner struggles are invariably both superficial and uninteresting. We tend to endure them more than communicate with them, because they have little to communicate. Shadow work is almost another name for falling upward. Lady Julian of Norwich put it best of all: “First there is the fall, and then we recover from the fall. Both are the mercy of God!” I am celebrating that mercy on the 50th anniversary of my first vows today (Aug 16). I have surely fallen many times and my only real recovery has come from God's unconditional acceptance and forgiveness—and from like-hearted friends, like you!

--

Here's The Welcoming Prayer. It's a lovely way to bring Shadow and Presence into our souls in the same moment. When you feel creatures from the Shadow stirring, instead of trying to stuff them back into the darkness, try something different--welcome them into the light of day--like this:



Gently become aware of your body and
your interior state. 

Welcome, welcome, welcome. 

I welcome everything that comes to me in this moment
because I know it is for my healing.
I welcome all thoughts, feelings, emotions,
persons, situations and conditions. 

I let go of my desire for security.
I let go of my desire for approval.
I let go of my desire for control. 

I let go of my desire to change any
situation, condition,
person, or myself. 

I open to the 
love and presence of God
and
the healing action and grace within.

––– Mary Mrozowski 1925-1993
The creator and spiritual mother of the welcoming prayer practice