Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mary vs. Martha


MARY VS MARTHA
A Guest Post by Jane Coburn

I continue to be amazed by themes surfacing in my life.  I will read an article about a topic and then someone a few days later will make a comment about the same topic. A few days later while flipping channels on the television there’s someone discussing the same topic.  I know this is God and the Universe literally tapping me on the shoulder saying, “yoo hoo, Jane – pay attention , there’s a lesson here!”  Recently, while chatting with my mother about something completely unrelated to the Bible, she referenced the Bible story about the sisters Mary and Martha.  I had not heard, read, or thought about this story in several years.  A few days later at my monthly meditation group, my friend Michael talked about Mary and Martha... “yoo hoo Jane…”

I love the visual the Mary and Martha story conjures in my head, Martha running around trying to cook, clean, and serve her guests while Mary just sits and listens to Jesus.  Too often, I am Martha, over-doing, trying to please everyone and not experiencing the moment.  Like Martha, I’d then be resentful of having done all the work, but didn’t we choose this service instead of being in the moment with our guests?  I can picture Martha years later saying, “I can’t believe I had Jesus in my house and I ignored him to do the dishes!”

My Western, dualistic mind wants to side with Martha.  What is wrong with working hard and taking care of others?  Hard work and service should be rewarded.  I want to say, “What is Mary’s problem?  Why didn’t she get off her lazy butt and help poor Martha?”  I want to label one good and one bad, but the truth is they are both fine.  It is learning to balance our Mary and our Martha that is important.  There is a time for serving, for doing, for working hard.  There is a time to be silent, to listen, to contemplate, to breath.

The key is to be present enough to know when to be active or contemplative.  The present moment should be right at our finger tips and yet it eludes us most of the time. There is a saying, “The present is called the “present” because it is a gift”.  It seems cheesy and simplistic and I’ve rolled my eyes more than once when I’ve seen this posted on someone’s Facebook wall.  Yet, like all clichés, it is true. 

Meditation is giving me this gift.  Too often, my mind is stuck in the past or the future.  Instead of being fully present, I am regretting something in the past or having anxiety about something that may not even come to fruition in my future.  Meditation is teaching me to be more present and it is a gift.  A gift I find myself wanting to share.

As a mother, I am always thinking five steps ahead or three behind.  Too many times, I’d be playing a board game with my kids while cooking dinner, checking my e-mail in between turns, thinking about our plans for the next day, and getting frustrated that my son is taking so long with his turn.  I was clearly not accepting the gift of the present moment.
  
Lately, I’ve heard my own voice inside my head saying, “Hey wake up and don’t miss this moment – BE PRESENT!”   Through meditation, I am finding my inner Mary.  The other day, my thirteen year old son and I were walking together and he grabbed my hand.  We walked for a good ten minutes holding hands.  He’s right on the cusp of puberty – my hand holding days with him are numbered.  At that moment, I consciously found my inner voice saying, “Enjoy this, be present.”  I took a deep breath and enjoyed it – felt the hand that is still a bit smaller than mine and poured my love into it, forgetting where I was going or what I needed to be doing.  I just enjoyed the warmth of his hand and the closeness of our bond and walked. 

This happened again with my other son yesterday. Austin and I were at a local amusement park and they have this pond filled with these insane carp and Japanese Koi fish who jump, dive,  and pile on top of each other to get to the tiny fish food pellets we throw into the water.  Austin could sit and watch these fish all day--his inner Mary is well nurtured.  I need to remember that when I am desperately trying to make him be Martha. 

As he fed the fish and his face lit up and his giggles poured out, I heard the voice again telling me to soak in this moment.  We bought a second bag of fish food – most fun I’ve ever had for a dollar!  I found myself present and filled with joy sharing these few moments with my son.  It is difficult to express in words how deeply these moments have imprinted on my soul.  These memories seem to come back to me more vividly than others, my mind accessing the feelings and sensations in a deeper way.

The present is a gift, but one not always easy to accept.  In fact, as I write this, I find myself wishing I could go back and be more present with my children when they were younger, regretting going through the motions at times out of exhaustion or boredom.  Why do our minds always want to take us back?  Why go there – it serves no purpose but to conjure up grief and guilt.

I hope that I will always have my inner Martha, she has served me well, but she needs a break. I feel Mary now, guiding her and giving her the gift of mindfulness and the joy of being present.  I hope she will continue to be open and accept Mary’s gift.