Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Big Ways To Have Small Fun?

On the Enneagram, I'm a type 7 (The Epicure).  One of a 7's greatest fears is being deprived. So, here on the cusp of Lent, on Fat Tuesday, my type's tendency is to gorge and hoard. I recognize that pattern!

But after a few decades of going with my pattern, I discovered there's more joy in moderation. And ultimately, it's tastier! And we 7s are born connoisseurs.

There's surely more joy on Wednesday morning when we party, shall we say, shrewdly on Fat Tuesday.

I tried marijuana in my late teens. Food tasted great! Thoughts were dreamier--and more colorful. But I hated not being able to have real conversations with my friends. It didn't take long to just 'know' that when I was stoned life itself just wasn't as tasty.

This kind of stuff is a hint of that strange irony Jesus talks about--that to find ourselves it's best to lose ourselves. Small self has lots of big ways to have small fun. Big self has lots of small ways to have BIG fun.

Going from Fat Tuesday into Lent can seem like a downer. Except that Big self understands (like all seeds understand) that a little down usually leads to a lot of up.

PS: if you'd like to discover your enneagram type, you can find do it here.