Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Deep End of the Pool


One summer day when I was 4 or 5 my two big brothers told our mother they were taking me to the Furman pool to teach me how to swim.

"You boys be really careful," Mom said.

"Don't worry," they promised. "We'll take good care of the little tadpole."

It was an indoor pool. The sliding doors were open, but many other windows were fogged up. A lifeguard kept watch perched on his tall chair at the edge of the pool.

One brother took me by the hands, the other by the feet, swinging me back and forth, "one and two and three...." 

Then, without further ceremony or advice, they flung me into the deep end.

As I posted last week, D. H. Lawrence wrote, "Men are not free when they are doing just what they like. Men are only free when they are doing what the deepest self likes. And there is getting down to the deepest self! It takes some diving."

Religions are in deep trouble when their people stay in the shallows. 

How is it possible to know, to go with God, if we don't get out of our depth? 

Becoming free and fully alive takes getting to the deep end of the pool--but the way I got there is not the best way. 

I only really know one religion, Christianity. Christianity certainly recommends getting to the deep end, but for centuries we have effectively failed at training people how to swim in the deep end. 

Perhaps it's because we have such a high regard for grace--and such a low regard for works--a high regard for God--and a low regard of our own capacity to meet God, even to incarnate God in the depths of our own lives and in the deep places of life. 

To swim takes training and practice. I flailed my way to the side of the pool after my brothers threw me in. The most I could do the rest of that summer was dog-paddle. The next summer, by watching other swimmers, I developed a passable stroke. It wasn't till I was in my 30s that I actually got lessons, practiced, and actually experienced the joy of smooth, efficient movement through water. 

Love the deep places. 

When we don't love the deep places it's almost always because we haven't been there or haven't been lovingly, skillfully, practically prepared to be there. 

I hope to follow this thread over the next few days. In the meantime, I'd like for as many of you as possible to post here or on my Facebook page the names of people, books, and practices that have helped you come into, to trust, and to navigate the deep end or your religion, soul, spiritual tradition or practice. 

I ask you to do this because it can be so wonderfully helpful for us to check out what inspires, trains and sustains others. If somebody names a person or book--Google the name, go to Amazon and read the book reviews, explore similar books that Amazon's algorithm suggests--then order what looks good from your local book store! 

Follow the threads that seem hopeful and helpful. 

Cultivate and share what works.