Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fear and PRESENCE

Buddhists brought mindfulness to the West, and though many Buddhists in the East believe in God or gods, mostly Buddhism here in the US and in Europe is non-theistic. Yet mindfulness practice can be just as revelatory and helpful for Christians as it is for Buddhists.

But it's impossible for God-people to meditate without reference to God, even if we were to try. But it is quite possible for Christians to trust Buddhists to embody love and wisdom within their own deepest integrity.

When I work mindfully with fear, in moments when I'm afraid and need help, mindfulness practice is for me is a godsend. And I ever so gratefully call to mind what my Buddhist teachers have so skillfully taught me about how to do it!

Recognize that 'fear' is 'happening.'
Accept it, don't repress it.
Investigate what it feels like to be afraid.
Not, however, go with the force of fearful feeling to the point where I'm identifying with it. Where the author 'fear' is telling is MY story, a story that 'wants' to define and circumscribe me.

While all this is happening (the being afraid, the working through fear with the RAIN paradigm) I'm also remembering to open heart and mind to spaciousness, emptiness, and through it all to have great loving kindness for myself. To rest in awareness itself, which is wise presence.

Yet emptying 'my'-self, embodying openness, spaciousness, loving kindness and wisdom is, for me, quite unmistakably incarnating God. When is God not encompassing me and permeating me with wise and loving Presence?

So working with fear mindfully is ever and always also working with fear faithfully. Underneath and supporting the fresh and very helpful practice of mindfulness is Presence with a really vast capital P--as in

 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."


PRESENCE. Can't help it. It is what it is. Or, as God says, I Am That I Am.